Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Dream of Atlanta

So we just finished our Atlanta final exams today, and I finally have time to breathe and write about what I've been doing all week.

I landed in Atlanta on Sunday afternoon and made it to the house without any problems (I'm staying at the Pi Kappa Phi house here, for those of you who I haven't told).  I got to bed early and then went to my first class on Monday.  I've been going to two classes per day since then: European Composers in the morning and Art History in the afternoon.  I really like them both--I already feel like I have a greater appreciation for classical music, and I can't believe that we're going to be seeing many of these incredible pieces of art we've been studying in less than a week!  My favorite pieces from art history lecture were Bernini's David and Renoir's La Moulin de la Galette (see below, Renoir is on the left), and as far as music goes I've discovered that I have a bit of a soft spot for Renaissance choral music.  Apparently last year one of the groups actually got to go to a traditional mass at the Vatican (and another went to Notre Dame in Paris), which just sounds incredible.

Everyone's been so nice so far--people from my group are great, and everyone's so friendly in Atlanta!  They seem like a really good bunch, and I'm excited to get to know them better.  I've been hanging out and studying with a few people from the program outside of class, but most people are going home for the weekend to finish packing and say goodbye to their families so I won't really have anyone to hang out with.

Since we had exams today but we leave on Tuesday, I now have three days to myself to chill and explore the city.  Not going to lie, I'm already kind of bored, but tomorrow I'm planning on going on the CNN tour and to get a bit of last-minute shopping done, so hopefully it will get more interesting from here.  Photos will be forthcoming!

Missing you all already...

Dara

No comments:

Post a Comment